Need a plumber?

Whether you have a dripping tap or a burst pipe, finding a plumber is only a few clicks away…

If you need a plumber, we recommend you choose a member of an approved contractors’ scheme (listed below). This will take away the headache of finding a plumber and you can be sure they have the necessary skills and training to undertake any water-related repair:

  • WaterSafe is a dedicated online search facility bringing together thousands of qualified contractors employed by plumbing businesses from the existing approved contractors’ schemes across the UK. It aims to raise plumbing standards by helping customers find their nearest qualified plumbing and heating professionals.
  • The Water Industry Approved Plumbers’ Scheme (WIAPS) is run by the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme. Not all plumbing businesses registered with WIAPS have signed up to WaterSafe at this time, so WIAPS may have additional qualified plumbers near you.
  • The Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors is the trade body for qualified plumbing and heating businesses and you can search for a local plumber on their website.
  • The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering is the professional body representing the UK’s plumbing and heating industry. Their website contains information about members and you can search for a local plumber.

If you have a leak on your external water supply pipe (which is the pipe which delivers water into your home from our water main in the street), we may be able to repair this leak under the terms of our private leak investigation scheme. Full details about the scheme can be found in our leakage code of practice.

Alternatively, you can choose to call HomeServe on 0800 247 999 for a free no obligation quotation. We work in partnership with the HomeServe Plumbing Service. HomeServe will undertake plumbing work including all uncontrollable plumbing and drainage emergencies, blocked or leaking drains, internal leaks, dripping taps and leaking overflows.

Check your home insurance

Before you contact a plumber, check your existing home insurance policy to see if you are covered for internal plumbing and/or water supply pipe repairs. If you’re unsure, contact your insurer direct to discuss this before doing anything else.

Please note: the companies listed on the approved contractors' weblinks shown above are not employed by United Utilities and this information is only provided to help our customers find an approved plumbing business in their local area.

Email this page